?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

006 || Voice

[Mickey's voice reaches over the intercomms and communicators at 8 AM sharp; hope you're good and awake, Academy.] Good mornin', students and staff!

It seems there's been a small snafu in the system. The good news is classes are cancelled until further notice; the bad news is curfew and the buddy-system is reinstated.

Sorry for the things actin' up, but we're makin' sure to get things back to normal ASAP!

So no panicking, and stay safe!

[LOCKED TO STAFF.]

Okay, so there's really no issue with the system, but I don't want there to be too much worry.

It seems a couple of our students have gone missin':

Dark Leonardo
Jasmine

For the new staff members, this information is only for staff! I don't want to go frightenin' the students now. If any of you have seen the missin' kids, though, please let me know immediately!

Thanks a bunch and have a good day!

Comments

sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 01:40 am (UTC)
[audio]
[Classes are cancelled? This is horrible news! She just got here, she has stuff to learn!]

Er, what exactly do the buddy-system and curfew require?
salagadoola
Jan. 14th, 2012 03:33 am (UTC)
[audio]
Allow me to answer that for you.

The Buddy-System essentially means you cannot leave the dorms without someone with you; a partner, it doesn't matter who, needs to be with you as you walk from building to building. Curfew entails that no students are allowed out of Joe West or Hoover Hall after eight o'clock at night until seven o'clock the next day.

It's just safety precautions for the time being; no need to worry.
sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 04:53 pm (UTC)
[audio]
[She was afraid of that. Sigh.]

All right. Thank you.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 14th, 2012 05:13 am (UTC)
[Locked to Esmeralda]
[Clopin can throw these things a fair bit further than he can trust them, so just in case the private tab doesn't work or someone knows how to hack, he's switched his language to Gypsy.]

What the woman with the hood said. Also, it means that you're not going to be leaving my side until this blows over. I'm in your room--get over here.

[He doesn't trust you to not pull something stupid when the news of disappearances and incoming Mist inevitably leaks. :| And his papa wolf streak has sort of been tripped by the whole 'there is a threat to people I have agreed to take care of' thing, but he's doing his best to just seem mildly annoyed at the situation instead of worried.]
sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 04:58 pm (UTC)
[Locked to Clopin]
[She follows suit and answers in the same language, though there's a slightly exasperated edge to her voice.]

She said it was a buddy-system, not house arrest.

[She's not mad at you, but she really isn't appreciating all these restrictions.]
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 14th, 2012 07:19 pm (UTC)
[Locked to Esmeralda]
[He wouldn't appreciate them either, which is why he won't be nearly as strict as he pretends to be. He just wants you to know that he was serious about you staying safe from the crazy dark Mist thing that keeps on stealing people and stripping them of everything that ever made them them.]

Yes, yes, but I want to talk to you and I don't trust these things. [Play your cards right and he'll leave you alone after.]
sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 09:28 pm (UTC)
[Locked to Clopin]
[Okaaaaay. Fine.

She has to admit, restrictions aside, this whole thing is kind of unsettling.]


I'm on my way right now. Count to thirty and I'll be there.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 14th, 2012 09:44 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
I'll be counting.

[And then he shuts off the feed. He does not like this. Not one bit.

But when she shows up, he'll be pretending to be okay, playing complex knife tricks with a dagger in his hand like a bored kid.]
sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 09:52 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[She shows up, Djali at her side, her expression and tone rather dry.]

I have no idea what a "snafu" is, but I'm guessing it isn't that small.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 14th, 2012 09:55 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[He keeps concentrating on the dagger, having calmed down a little since he started playing with it. It's almost as effective as playing music!]

Why, ma cherie, surely you wouldn't ask me to betray the confidence of our headmaster by sharing staff-only information!

[He tosses the dagger up, catching it easily and twirling it between his fingers after it spins four times.]

But oui, you're right. They're very bad at lying. Maybe I should give our headmaster some lessons on that.

Edited at 2012-01-14 09:56 pm (UTC)
sirenspell
Jan. 14th, 2012 10:06 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
I didn't ask you to.

[She crosses her arms, watching the dagger idly. It's a little bit mesmerizing.]

Mmm, maybe you shouldn't: he might wonder how you acquired such a talent.

[And that's not really information we want everyone to have, least of all your current employer.

She moves over to the window, peering out of it.]


If you're going to move in and be my new shadow, I suggest you bring your books over.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 12:08 am (UTC)
[In Person]
True, true. As interesting as that conversation would be, I don't think I would like to have it.

[No on needs to know that Clopin is anything but a performer with no sense of personal space.]

'New' shadow? Please, Esmeralda. I'm everyone's shadow, yours included. [He twirls the dagger like a pinwheel, then suddenly stops it, the blade lining up with his arm but not making a single slice.] But the books would be a good idea. I found two that talk about the Mist and another that talks about 'racial persecution'.[That phrase feels so weird in his mouth. Such a sterile way of talking about what they live with every day. The book in general seems way too clinical for his taste, but he doesn't know what he might find out from it.] Relevant to our interests, no?
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 03:48 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[Don't mind her, Clopin, she's just a bit grumpy because -

a) classes are cancelled
b) she's under house arrest bound to a buddy system and a curfew
c) she doesn't know what's actually going on

- and all that equals a not very happy Esmeralda. She's glad you're safe, though, and as indefatigable as ever, even if she isn't really showing it.

She turns from the window to face him, just in time to see his last dagger trick - she raises her eyebrows slightly, impressed, but doesn't comment - and nods at his question.]


Very. I've been reading about political systems. [Wry grin.] I think we may need a new one.

[She brings this up very carefully, making sure not to appear too interested.]

I didn't think there would be books on the Mist - are they helpful?
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 04:17 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[Oh well, he wouldn't have survived the last thirteen years or so if he didn't know how to deal with a grumpy Esme. He looks up at her, quirking an eyebrow with a smile teasing his lips.]

Of course you would read about political systems. Tell me, do you prefer democracy or communism?

[Oh, he can guess at your interest, Esme. He spins the knife again, catching the light with the blade and making it glimmer.]

Mostly about the history of it and pulling together stories people have told from around the world. More helpful than anything we have in Paris, but we won't know exactly how helpful that is until something happens and we put it to the test, oui?
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 05:03 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[There is something almost quaint about comparing systems with their own flawed government in her modest little dorm. Do you hear the people sing - oh wait, wrong story.]

It might sound freeing on paper, but I don't see how communism would really work. [Distribution based on need kind of scares her - who determines that? She doesn't think this so-called leveling of the playing field will really make anything fair for anyone.] Democracy is promising. But in order to be ruled by the people, the people have to be educated.

[...you said test. She's not trying to get you to talk about top secret staff stuff - she doesn't want you to get in trouble at work - but she's wondering if this is something not job related.]

Will we be putting it to the test?
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 05:20 am (UTC)
[In Person]
And how do you suggest educating the people? [He throws up the dagger again, making it pinwheel in the air before catching it.] Public schooling is an option, but it takes authority to put a system in place, and before any kind of democracy could be put there, it would be a monarch ruling. A monarchy that educates its people spells its own doom.

And even then, you can't educate away selfishness and hate. Those things will always exist, and the prejudice of the teacher will be inflicted on the students. [Clopin, quit waving around your cynicism. He's of the attitude that public education is not viable in Paris, mostly because the education would be inevitably based on gadje worldview and would likely try to bleach the gypsy from gypsy children, rooting traditionally nomadic families in one place and depriving the impoverished of essential hands to help earn money. Learning how to read is great, yes, but it's not worth much if your whole culture has disappeared and your family died of starvation while you were learning.]

I know that head isn't just good for looking pretty, ma fille. Think about it. [He's willing to tell her the truth because he has zero respect for authority. He just wants to tell it in a way so that he can claim he never said a word, because the best lies are technical truths.] It's good to know just in case.
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 06:25 am (UTC)
[In Person]
The monarchy would have no incentive to do that. [She sighs.]

I know there is so much weighed against us, that too drastic a change might do more harm than good, but if we don't start now...if we don't start somewhere...then when? How much time must pass and how many people must die before we take those first few steps forward?

We have to start with something, even the smallest thing. Just changing public opinion in the slightest way would would count.

[She caught that. Suspicions (cleverly) confirmed, thanks.]

I see.

[Yes, yes she does. And it's all she can do to keep from blurting out well why are we in here when we could be outside, being useful!]

May I look at those books? When you're not using them, that is.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 06:37 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[He looks at her, still spinning the dagger in his hand, considering what she has to say. It's really, really hard to crush her hopes when she looks at him like that.]

You can start by trying to help the children learn how to read when we go home. Gadje don't think we're human. It gets harder to keep thinking that when we do human, intelligent things like read.

[He nods, finally sheathing the dagger at his hip. Hopefully, that'll tide him over until he can crawl off to a roof somewhere to play music alone. That's usually how he deals with stress, but he figured that might be too obvious to do in front of Esmeralda.] Absolutely, ma petite. You can look at them now, if you like.
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 06:51 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[She nods in response, pleased to have been given an assignment. It's an excellent idea, and very feasible. Plus, she likes munchkins.]

It might also be helpful if we return home with any sort of information on the Mist. When I left, things were still very much chaotic. If we were able to shed any light on the topic, we may not be regarded so poorly.

[She crosses the room to where he is and places a kiss on his brow. She knows he has more on his mind than he ever admits, and carries more on his shoulders than any one person should carry, and he still manages to find the time to look after her and keep her from musing over things like restrictions.]

I'll read them. And I won't give you cause to worry. I won't.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 07:08 am (UTC)
[In Person]
We can try, ma petite. We can try. [Actually, he suspects that the frightened Parisians would just jump to the conclusion that the gypsies were the cause of the Mist and attack them for knowing more about it, but he won't share those doubts until it's time to go home. He can't have one optimistic thought about humanity, can he?

He looks up at the kiss, his expression softening a little. Esmeralda. How can she soothe him so well? Soothe anyone, no matter what?

He smiles up at her, giving a playful wink.]
Good. That'll give me more time to fool around with my puppets. I do like those things.
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 06:40 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[That is a plausible suspicion, even though if the gypsies were the source of the Mist, you would think the Mist wouldn't have claimed so many gypsy victims. But that train of thought might be a bit too reasonable for the frightened Parisians. And no, he can't, poor Clopin. Always being prepared for the worst makes him a good leader, though.

She smirks down at him, placing one hand at her hip. He deftly navigated her from grumpiness, to the unlikely death of the monarchy, to much more likely steps toward improvement, to going against the grain of her natural curiosity (just because she couldn't bring herself to add to his concerns), to end up at puppets. Skills, Clopin. You have them. She's glad those skills will always be used for rather than against her, even if you did manage to get her to agree to her restrictions!]


I think you do this on purpose, monsieur gypsy king.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 06:50 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[You'll get more cynical with time, Esme. Until then, he'll be cynical for you.

Hello, speak of the devil. The puppet pops up, Clopin pretending to not pay any attention.]
Monsieur gypsy king is sure he has no idea what you're talking about, mademoiselle!
sirenspell
Jan. 15th, 2012 11:39 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[Hush, you. She will not give in to cynicism. She will keep up her cautious optimism!

Oh hey there, puppet. She grins and tweaks his little puppety nose.]


Mademoiselle? Still? After all this time and all my failed attempts to steal you as a child? I would have thought we'd have been on a first name basis by now.
topsyturvyfool
Jan. 15th, 2012 11:58 pm (UTC)
[In Person]
[You see what you say when you're as old as he is. >:T

The puppet giggles and then leans in closer, putting a hand up to his perpetually smiling face and whispering:]


I must say so or else he might suspect something!

[Clopin looks up, as if roused from deep thought.] Hmm? What was that, boy?
sirenspell
Jan. 16th, 2012 12:14 am (UTC)
[In Person]
[Stop, you're breaking her heart! Cautious optimism will save the world one day. D:

She laughs lightly, delightedly, her eyes sparkling. The puppet that was a part of so much of her childhood brings out the happy child in her, and she responds in a conspiratorial whisper.]


Yes, very clever of you.

[And to Clopin...]

He said that he's sure he doesn't know how you would ever get on without me.

[Innocent smile!]
[In Person] - topsyturvyfool - Jan. 16th, 2012 12:34 am (UTC) - Expand
[In Person] - sirenspell - Jan. 16th, 2012 02:07 am (UTC) - Expand
[In Person] - topsyturvyfool - Jan. 16th, 2012 03:23 am (UTC) - Expand
[In Person] - sirenspell - Jan. 16th, 2012 03:45 am (UTC) - Expand
[In Person] - topsyturvyfool - Jan. 16th, 2012 04:06 am (UTC) - Expand